Tracking My Fluency Growth


{and feel free to right click on the center sign image to snag it}

So, I told you last week that I am fortunate to teach 19 3rd graders for a 90 minute literacy block daily....it's a really sweet deal and I love all of them dearly.  They are top notch readers who are working on going deeper with their comprehension, listening to the inner conversations in their head while reading and decreasing their reading fluency speed.  Yes, that's right, decreasing their speed!  We are working on increasing their fluency (and thus their comprehension) by decreasing their speed.  These kids read so fast they get to the end of the page and have little ideas or understanding about what they've just read.   So my solution, and those of you that know me, know I'm not a busy center fan or a worksheet fan....only higher level independent activities here.  Since we are all about tracking our progress and setting SMART goals with kids, I developed a fluency center where they could work on their expression, tone, prosidy, volume and enunciation collaboratively with a partner.  


In addition, Rasinki's Fluency Rubric will be copied to the back. The elements of this rubric are the most important aspects of reading fluency growth that these students are working on.


There are plenty of fluency passages out there, but it's easy enough to create your own using the free Reading Passage Generator at www.interventioncentral.org.  Since it's more important to me to find content related to the 3rd grade science and social studies objectives, than say, a Level M passage or a leveled passage in general, I find articles online at Scholastic News and other sites linked in my blog post from earlier this year about places to find online sources of student text.   {Here is the link to that post}. 

For example, if you go to National Geographic Kids, and select the News tab, there are online stories related to Animals & Nature, People & Places, Science & Space and History.  I clicked on History and several stories popped up...so I clicked the first one about Stonehenge Village.   

Scroll down and highlight the entire body of text to be pasted into the Reading Passage Generator over at www.interventioncentral.org. You could really use any online text you find, but by inserting it into the RPG, it keeps track of the number of words for the kids so they don't have to waste time counting up words.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a comment!

This year I also wrote and created 60 fluency passages (all lexile leveled by grade level) to either monitor progess for your RTI students or can also be used in a fluency center or Read to Someone center if you want to ensure reading and fluency growth of ALL students. Remember, even ON grade level students need to grow their fluency at the rate of 1 word per work in order to maintain fluency benchmarks at every grade level, and a rate of 1.5 words would ensure they are at least ON grade level if not ABOVE grade level in fluency, especially if they started the year with your under the BOY fluency benchmark.  

The 60 original fluency passages are HERE. 


***Resource Link:***

Happy Reading!


Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Great post! I enjoyed talking with you on Saturday. :)
    Cathy Scheer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, seriously this is one of the best posts I have found since blogging!! SOOO helpful! I love, love, love how you can create their own reading passage. I can tailor it to certain groups. I have 3 boys who are obsessed with weather, and I just found an article about giant hailstorms! I am so excited! Thanks again!

    Amanda
    Third Grade Meanderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for leveled passages. Could you recommend where to buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tania...you can leveled fluency passages at www.readinga-z.com. I've also created my own leveled passages by typing text from leveled books into the Reading Passage Generator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. I want to be you when I grow up (we are probably the same age though). Thank you so much for all of your wonderful insight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I stumbled on this blog. Love your ideas!

    Katie Appel
    ReadingResource.net
    TwoCanDoIt.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily HolsingerFebruary 22, 2012

    Thank you for your wonderful resources that you have posted! I'm just wondering what BOQ and EOQ fluency stands for on your "tracking my fluency growth" form. Can't wait to use this with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BOQ=beginning of the quarter
    EOQ=end of the quarter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your site...so much rich information!! I could stay up all night looking at everything! Thanks for generously sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - you are amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I'm looking for the fluency graph that the students color in themselves. Do you have that somewhere on your site?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all the wonderful information you have provided! I have used this fluency chart from you this past year, and I love how easy it was to record all my information compared to other resources. The parents of my students can understand the charts now compared to previous years. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you wish....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...